Ian Messenger Schmidt
Glass Artist. Designer. Fabricator.
Temple University, Tyler School of Art; 2015-17
B.F.A. Glass and Glass Sculpture, Minor Philosophy;
Rochester Institute of Technology, School for American Crafts; 2006-10
RustFab llc - 2017
- Fabricator: Contracted assistant for Tim Rusterholtz in wood and metal fabrication of artworks for various artists and public works.
Temple Contemporary — 2016-2017
- Gallery Assistant: Installation of all incoming art works and preparation of space for all incoming shows. Shipping and crate building for all works being sent out of gallery.
Tyler Glass Studio - 2015-2016
- Technician Assistant: Assist in all shop maintenance of studio equipment along with fabrication of new equipment and parts for studio space.
Tyler all school wood shop - 2015-2016
- Teachers Assistant and Studio Technician: Assist all professors in foundation wood shop classes. Offer technical advice to both students and professors in wood fabrication techniques and wood shop orientation.
Corning museum of glass — 2010-2015
- Team Leader: Manager for glass teams for Glass at Sea program in partnership with Celebrity Cruise Line. Maintenance and daily operations manager for glass studio located on Celebrity cruise ships.
- Demonstrating Glass Blower: Narrator and public demonstrations for glass blowing shows at museum campus and for mobile glass stages across the country.
- Glass blower: GlassLab pavilion 2011 Art Basel, Design Miami conference in collaboration with the VITRA Design Museum Basel, Switzerland.
Toledo museum of art — 2013-2015
- Glass Pavilion Facilitator: Independent contractor as Team Leader for production of glass commissions and public glass blowing demonstrator.
Schmidt Messenger Studios/gallery — 2004-2015
- Production Glass blower: Assist in high end glass production and shop maintenance for glass, metal, and wood shop.
Salem community college - 2017
- Adjunct Professor: Cold Construction and Assemble, 6 week intensive course.
Tyler School of Art
- Teaching Assistant: Advanced Glass Blowing.
- Teaching Assistant: 3d Foundations.
- 15 years glass working experience.
- 10 years welding- Mig, Tig, Stick, Braze, and Aluminum.
- 10 years metal fabrication, bending, forging, and design.
- 15 years wood working, carpentry, and wood turning experience.
- Drafting and project planning skills for large scale sculpture.
- Mold making for glass, bronze, and ceramic casting with plaster rubber and resin.
- 5 years experience with ceramics and glazing.
- Competent in Adobe Suite programs
- 1 year experience with CAD program Rhino and CNC milling processes.
- 1 year 3d printing technology experience with ceramics and plastics.
- 1 year experience with laser cutter.
- 2016-2017 Glass Arts Society Student Representative for the board of directors.
- 2013 Best in Show Michigan Hot Glass Gallery; Survey of New Glass - Detroit, MI
- 2009 Partner Scholarship Recipient, Pilchuck Glass School - Stanwood, WA
- 2017 Glass Arts Society Student Exhibition- Norfolk, VA
- The Glass Factory; Tyler 2nd Year MFA Group Show 2017 - Philadelphia, PA
- Temple Contemporary; MFA group exhibition 2017 - Philadelphia, PA
- MFA Thesis Show; All That is Bound and Undone 2017- Philadelphia, PA
- Pen Charter School; Simplicity, group exhibition 2016- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Hudson Gallery; Young Artists of Toledo, group exhibition 2015- Toledo, Ohio
- Leso Gallery; Landscape and Time, group exhibition 2015- Toledo, Ohio
- Toledo Arts Commission Pop Up Gallery; The Mix, group exhibition and fundraiser 2014, Toledo, Ohio
- Michigan Hot Glass Gallery; Survey of New Glass, group exhibition 2013- Detroit, Michigan
- Hudson Gallery; New Artists in Glass, group exhibition 2012- Toledo, Ohio
- Toledo Arts Commission Gallery; 2012 Survey of Toledo Art, group exhibition; 2012-Toledo, Ohio